Friday, June 28, 2013

HJA Day

I went for a hike today.  I was told that the trail I was on was not great, but it was good if I wanted to just move around a little.  It just follows the creek.  It was fantastic.  The trail let through several different stands of old-growth.  There were big old trees, and big dead trees.  There was varying amounts of light coming through the various layers of canopies caused by the big old trees becoming big dead trees.  As I was walking, I was thinking that if this trail isn't even one of their good ones, than there must be a lot of really great trails here.



Today was HJA Day.  This is a day for people to learn about all of the different projects that are being done in the experimental forest.  A lot of people came in from OSU, Willamette University, Forest Service, and many other organizations.

Here are some of the researchers discussing the project here at HJA:


Dr. Dana Warren talking about his work on connections between canopy and stream ecology




Dr. Judy Li discussing her children's book, "Ellie's Log" about doing science in the field 
(the audio is a little quiet.)




Dr. Mark Schulze, HJ Andrews Forest Director, discussing the phenology research at HJA




Dr. Steve Ackers discussing his work with spotted owls




Mark talking about the GREENhouse project here at HJA


Here is the eventual in-wall house data center
 
This is the GREENHouse
The house is has triple pane windows and the molding is all made from logs that fell here at HJA.
Here is one of the monitoring sensors in the wall


Ventilation System
One kitchen
Another kitchen

 Mark describing why we wear hardhats




 In the afternoon, we went into the field.  These former RETs and Kari and describing how to make pitfall traps and use them with high school students.

 This is a description of the forest wireless network that they have at HJA.  This allows researchers to stream continuous data from the field or check their email.  The WiFi is called "Big Tree 1," "Big Tree 2," and "Big Tree 3."  This is because the wireless is attached to big trees.
And then I ran into former Sandy High School student, Will L'Hommedieu.  He is now a PhD student at OSU Forestry studying the movements of small woody debris in creeks among other things.  
I am starting a relationship with the Swainson's Thrush, Catharus ustulatus, outside my window.  Every morning at about 5 AM, it start going "Tweedle-dweedle-dee."  It reminds me of the rooster that I knew in Ranomafana, Madagascar.  The rooster lived on the hillside opposite of my tent.  It had congestion in it's throat and every morning, it was say, "cock-a-doodle BLEGHTH."  Eventually, I grew to enjoy the rooster saying, "good morning."  Maybe, I will eventually grow to appreciate my window friend that begins my day an hour before necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment